Electronic Permit Pre-Registration System: BIREG
Hungary has set up an electronic system (BIREG) in order to ensure traceability and control of the legal use of bilateral and multilateral permits necessary for the international road freight transport, the use of which is mandatory.
Mandatory application of the BIREG system covers:
- international road transport operations on own account with vehicles having a maximum permissible laden weight of over 3,5 tonnes and which are subject to bilateral permit or ECMT licence and
- transport operations on hire or reward with vehicles having a maximum permissible laden weight of over 3,5 tonnes which are subject to bilateral permit or ECMT licence, and
- cabotage operations which are subject to bilateral permit and the holding of a Community licence in Hungary,
including empty runs regarding the above mentioned operations.
Information on the use of the BIREG system:
The company needs to register in the BIREG system so that it can apply (called: company’s registration). The company’s registration shall include the company name, registered establishment, and contact details, the number of the Community licence or the licence authorizing the international carriage of goods and the company identifier. Company’s registration is strictly necessary to complete registration in the BIREG system.
Administrator users can pre-enter the basic data of trucks and trailers used for freight transport operations.
Registration of the transport operation:
The administrator user of the company shall each time register the transport operation (called freight registration)
- In case of transport operation to or through Hungary, before entering the territory of Hungary, or
- In case of transport operation starting from Hungary, before the start of loading in the territory of Hungary.
During the freight registration, the data of the transport operation shall be provided (place of loading and unloading, the registration number of the vehicle and its environmental category) and based on this information the BIREG system determines whether the transport operation is subject to permit in Hungary. The transport operations are subject to permit in the BIREG system, where bilateral permit (permit issued under a bilateral agreement), ECMT or cabotage permit (including cabotage operations carried out under a Community licence) are required, in which cases the type and serial number of the permit to be used should be given and a photo of the permit shall be uploaded to the BIREG system.
When the freight registration has been saved successfully, the system generates a BIREG ID, which is also sent to the contact e-mail address.
Following activities need to be registered:
Activities should be uploaded for each freight registration if the transport operation is subject to permit. To upload activities is also obligatory in the case of a cabotage operation when it is necessary to upload activities in connection with the transport operation to Hungary prior to cabotage operation and the international freight transport to leave Hungary.
Types of activities are the following:
- entering the territory of Hungary,
- unloading in the territory of Hungary,
- loading in the territory of Hungary,
- leaving the territory of Hungary.
The registration number of the vehicle shall be given, then select the right freight registration and after that the location and the mileage concerning the required information listed above shall be provided. Uploading these activities is the same as the current obligation to complete a permit or the filling of the ECMT logbook.
Loading and unloading places in Hungary currently have to fix in the permit that loading or unloading has taken place.
The BIREG is available on the website: https://bireg.gov.hu/bireg
To use the system a computer and/or a mobile device (smartphone, tablet) connected to the Internet is needed. Supported browsers are Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Safari.